To encourage in young South Africans the development of a sense of vision, initiative and personal responsibility, with particular emphasis on a concern for the conservation of the environment, community building and cross cultural cooperation, while at the same time promoting the spirit of Ubuntu.
- Reconstruct a culture of human rights and dignity
- Redirect the purpose and energy of young people towards positive life-goals.
- Counteract the psycho-social impact and further spread of HIV/AIDS.
- Reinstate the dignity and power of survivors of crime, violence and abuse.
- Create an understanding and supportive attitude around environmental issues.
- Provide a springboard for people to rise above current disheartening circumstances and establish a secure direction for their lives.
- Encourage people to recognise their own value as well as the value of others, thus enhancing the quality of relationships and interactions as well as promoting active citizenship.
Educo Africa facilitates young people becoming active citizens by taking them on a journey of self-development using the core method of wilderness based experiential methodology. This includes activities such as:
pan-cultural rites of passage work,
problems solving intiatives and crafts,
added to the reflective practises of:
story telling and
All our beneficiaries are in long term programmes with our partners and therefore return to a supportive environment where they transfer their personal learning back into family and community.
Educo Africa supplements the wilderness work with comprehensive capacity building training opportunitites in The Power of Play, communication, facilitation, child and youth care and personal development for those working with the youth.
Educo Africa particpant 2011